NOTE TO computerconsultantsforum.com and forums.techcareerfubar.com USERS: This is the same site. Your login will work here. Use the "forgot password" function if you need help recovering your password.

Get rid of this big black message box by joining here: http://mature-it.pro/register/

Obvious fact: You're not logged in.

Therefore, you're only seeing the tip of the iceberg of great discussion threads on this site. The frankest, most raw and truthful observations about employment and work life in the IT and engineering fields are in "members only" sections that are ONLY visible when you are registered and you log in.

If you're 35 or over, and work in IT, or are retired from IT, and you dislike the herd mentality and clueless, adolescent snobbery of forums such as "Hacker News", then you really should join this board. Why? Because you're too smart for Facebook. And everyone needs someone to gossip, commisserate, and chat with at their level.

Who we are:

A collection of IT, engineering and sciences professionals, in a variety of current circumstances with a variety of career backgrounds. Including:

• System admins
  • Developers and programmers
  • Freelancers and "gig" entrepreneurs
  • Contract, job shopping and FTE-employed contract house IT workers
  • Web developers
  • Inventors
  • Artists and writers with tech backgrounds

This forum has its roots in the 1990s buildup of the IT field into what we know today and has been around since 2002. 10s of thousands of messages and threads about a variety of career, FTE, contract, and side gig issues and opportunities.

If you're as smart as the typical experienced IT professional, you have a critical mind that has a hard time staying engaged with pop culture and generic issues of the day. And you're WELL beyond the fanboy mentality of the young developer communities. Get some relief here.

Register on the board - your email is NEVER sold or provided to third parties. Then LOGIN FREQUENTLY to see new stuff daily. Note to long lost members: all politics have been marked as "opt in" only. You won't see anything political unless you ask for it.

Join by Registering here: http://mature-it.pro/register/

Author Topic: I just unsubscribed to one of this forum's members' mailing lists  (Read 317 times)

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
The individual who used to post here and is still a full member has not been seen in over a year here.

Some time ago the guy subscribed me to his mailing list. I don't think I did it. His emails are along the line of business intelligence and meta about current affairs and ideas affecting business. He sends it out to his business prospects for his own IT related business.

It was passingly interesting but long winded stuff.

I emailed the guy a few weeks ago and said "hey, cuz you subscribed me to your emailing list which I don't think I requested but I don't mind, I'd love it if you stopped in to this board."

His reply was he was too busy with projects to even consider it.

I'm sure it's more personal - he was one of many who bailed here when I made the horrific mistake of revealing my political leanings.

So very many people are not my friend now for reasons.

Anyway, I decided to unsubscribe.

It's like - buddy, you won't give me 2 seconds of your time, why the hell should i do the same with you?

Increasingly I view this board the same way. People only post here to wail about their own problems and are never seen for conversation unless it's some outrage that triggers them.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

JoFrance

• CCF Winner's Circle - Supporter
  • Wise Sage
Re: I just unsubscribed to one of this forum's members' mailing lists
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 02:07:41 pm »
Its ridiculous to not talk to others if you don't agree with them politically.  There are so many other things to talk about.

The Gorn

• I absolutely DESPISE improvised sulfur-charcoal-salt peter cannons made out of hollow tree branches filled with diamonds as projectiles.
  • Trusted Member
  • Wise Sage
  • Gorn Classic, user of Gornix
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:33:02 pm »
Its ridiculous to not talk to others if you don't agree with them politically.  There are so many other things to talk about.

So, let's talk about them. Small business, contracting, self improvement, anything except the dismal commentary on Trump, Syria, the deep state, Facebook's meddling, etc.

I'm hypothesizing that this individual (whose opinions I highly respected) had that issue with the board and won't say because he doesn't want to engage.

I could be ENTIRELY wrong, too.

The point of my post was I'm not going to give attention to someone else's efforts as a marketer and support them if they don't show an iota of friendship.

I've supported way too many individuals in my career without anyone ever supporting me.

The cheapest assed excuse I hear repeatedly is the ass covering lie "I was just thinking about calling you!" No, you didn't and were not thinking of calling me. You weren't going to call me in a million years.

The world would be a better place if people were not so butt covering and would admit that they are disengaged and lazy.
Gornix is protected by the GPL. *

* Gorn Public License. Duplication by inferior sentient species prohibited.

JoFrance

• Wise Sage
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 03:52:03 pm »
I think they don't want to engage because they don't see it as benefiting them.  They're takers.  If this board had a more robust following in line with their business, they would see something they could get.  They're not looking to build this site.

Maybe politics figures in there, but I don't think so.  Its more that the site doesn't have a big following.

JoFrance

• Wise Sage
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 04:13:58 pm »
I may have nerd interests, but I am far from a nerd.  I'm a people person.  My job in computer networking was to come up with solutions to business problems, implement it on the network and train the people in how to use it.  I selected and supervised consultants to do the network changes if I couldn't do them.  I worked with every person in the company, trained most of them, fixed their problems and listened to their concerns.

I worked with a lot of programmers too.  They always seemed to have their own world, their own niche and that was all they were interested in.  Their piece of the pie.  What they do is important, but they don't think about the big picture.

I've done a lot of different jobs.  Prior to my computer career, I worked in credit and collections in businesses ranging from a small finance company to collecting debts from embassies and permanent missions around the world.  I had to negotiate settlements of telecom bills with them.  It was very interesting work.  I went from that to owning a hair salon with my husband and running the business.

I've held a lot of different jobs in my life and can relate to just about anyone.  I like change.  I like hearing from people that do different things, live different lives.  There is something to learn from everyone.

I've interacted with, no kidding, hundreds of people in my life.  I know everything about them, they know nothing about me.  They never asked.  A lot of people are uncurious about others and just live in their own worlds.

Shared interests might attract some people, but you're still limiting yourself by doing that.